A Sad Tale of .cpgz Compression & the Mystery That Surrounds It

Jennie

:batman:

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping against hope someone might have some experience with .cpgz compression (I know, I know - you should hear my chat at parties).

The problem: when certain users (believed to be Windows users) upload their compressed/zipped files to Superhug's AWS S3 bucket, sometimes the downloading at the Sueprhug end results in an unextractable/uncompressionable/unopenable .cpgz file. The downloaded zip will literally keep "extracting" itself into a .cpgz folder.

Google searches have proven useless. The software I've tried to resolve this hasn't worked. Nothing has worked. It doesn't happen often enough to worry our developers as it's little ol' me who has to email the uploader every time and ask them to email me the associated files.

So..... if anyone knows anything about the whys and wherefores of this very boring problem I'd be monstrously appreciative.

Thanks for reading & apologies for being so mind-numbingly boring with one of my first DF posts :down:

Jen x

Hey Jennie,

Whats the upload limit on files size and php timeout set to? I often en-counted issue like you have mentioned when the file has become corrupted, due to interruption on the upload.

Ah, now that sounds promising, Sunburn, thank you. To answer your questions, I have no idea. I'm just the marketing/client-facing in-the-firing-line jobsworth! And, helpfully, our lead developer is currently valleying his silicons just outside San Fran...... but what you've suggested sounds as though it very well could be the solution - the interruption of the upload.

I shall create a story in Pivotal Tracker forthwith and mention your hugely helpful possibilities.

Thank you so very much!

Jen x

Back