Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick hello!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by studioeighty, Jan 27, 2009.

1. studioeighty

studioeighty Member

Hello all,

Stumbled across this site today after looking for a few tips on how to increase my client list.

Where do I start....I've been working for an IT distributor for over 4 years now and decided I would try freelance work for a while and see how I do! - My design was becoming very stale designing for IT everyday and I wanted a change. I've managed to get a few clients through friends and family which should give a stable source of revenue - which just so happens to match my monthly salary. I think with some hard work from me I can get some new business in and in my spare time improve on my weaknesses - which are mainly the web development.

The jobs which I have pulled in, web design seems to earn me the most - I'm just not very skilled (yet) in putting the sites together.

I've put together (tried) a portfolio site of all my work which I'm still updating daily.

I'd love some feedback/comments on the site and hopefully some motivational speel to keep me going through the day!

Look forward to speaking to you all.

2. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Welcome Steve, nice looking site, did you get that video with the colours from istock? - like the way you tied the colour of the text in to the right.

Where in Berkshire are you based?
  3. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Design Forums! I had a look at your site and you've got some awesome work on there. I'm sure you'll do great if you just keep at it with the development side of things.

I noticed you've built your site with tables. So I think learning some XHTML/CSS would be of great benefit for you. You'll have an extra selling point for your clients as well then in being able to offer standards compliant websites using the latest technology etc.

Looking forward to speaking to you more Steve, enjoy your stay!
  4. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!
  5. studioeighty

studioeighty Member

thanks tbwcf for your comments, based in Reading and yes the flash image was from istock. I must admit my site was very rushed and I defiantly want to change it in the future but for now its clean and easy to navigate through which is essential.

Cheers Aarlev. Yes I defiantly want to learn XHTML and CSS, can you recommend any site tutorials/books to get and yes agree its good to have something extra to give to the client. I stupidly turned down a job recently for a website as I didnt think I'd be able to code it, I should of designed it and found a developer to knock it together.

thanks again all
  6. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I like your site, it just needs some refining (specifically the portfolio page).
    Welcome :)
  7. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Ah good to know there's a few "locals" around, I work in Wokingham so not far.
  8. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

For tutorials I find HTML dog quite good. I haven't really studied that many books, but I've heard good things about CSS mastery and Designing with Web Standards
  9. berry

berry Active Member

welcome to the forum
  10. VertigoSFX

VertigoSFX Senior Member

Welcome dude...when Iwas learning CSS, I actually did it an interesting way...because CSS at its core is real easy to learn, it is just getting the browser stuff down...because each browser reads crap differently.

I actually found a few tuts on PSDtuts that were about building full css sites and I kinda just looked at the code and their final products and compared stuff to get an idea of what went where and how. I didn't really read the tutorial, just kinda jumped around until I found what I wanted...then I went to a few sites that were heavily CSS (Design Inspiration Gallery - FAVEUP and click on CSS websites is a good start) and from here I just opened up source codes and looked at the various elements to figure out how it was done.

I don't find books to be very helpful, it is better to just jump in and get dirty. I really like your work you got on there...I think you'll become a pretty amazing designer once you got the XHTML and CSS under your belt.

This tut has some pretty quick to learn tips and tricks: From PSD to HTML, Building a Set of Website Designs Step by Step - NETTUTS
  11. studioeighty

studioeighty Member

Hi Onartis,
    can you be a little more specific on what you think needs refining, I want to tweak the site so its at its best!
    cheers for the link, I will have a look on amazon quickly see what the books are like.
    Cheers Vertigo for your post! - I must say that is how I usually like to work, I just sometimes find it easier if I have a book to reference from. I will also check out the link you posted. No doubt I will be back on here posting messages on how to do stuff! . Thanks again for your postitive words at the end!
    Know Wokingham well! - one of my girlfriends lives there and has her own agency, she tends to do well as she's stunning and generally gets a lot of male clients when she goes to networking meets!
    cheers all for the welcome!
  12. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Design Forums! Apologies for being a bit late on the welcome as I see you've already made it to the 2nd page :D your portfolio looks great to me, really like the overall presentation within the sliding images with the faded wooden backgrounds.

Look forward to hearing more from you around the forums!
    Cheers, Greg
  13. studioeighty

studioeighty Member

cheers for the warm welcome Greg - good job on the forum btw!
  14. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

It's all packed together. Make your brown content box bigger and add some project info or list your services as normal text instead of the images at the bottom. I would also move your arrows up, between the work and the brown background.
  15. Greg

Greg Active Member

No worries Steve and glad you like the place, we have a great group of creative peeps here! enjoy! :up:
  16. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

eeek ! knock it together!!! that statement makes me shudder lol !