A quick confirmation that would be really helpful :)

bamme

Okay so this is kind of to show someone whos thinking of joining how good these forums are with helping people :)

Someones given me a couple of files (attached) and asked why the printer rejected them and said to print they'd need to do extra work on them

I said that it would probably be because the map (map2gym1.jpg) image is only 72dpi rather than 300 (attached).

The other image (looks like the front of a flyer - icb elite copy.jpg) seems fine as its 300dpi already.

Im pretty sure these werent made on any expert programs, and im no print expert myself, just went from the little i did know to answer the above, so i wondered if anyone could just have a little peek at them so they can tell me what would need to be done to make these print-ready files.

A guess would be: 1) get someone to redo the map (is this the quickest/cheapest way?) 2) put the flyer (icb elite copy.jpg) on a pdf? change any colours?? or is it ready as it is?

Attachments

• map2gym1.jpg
    map2gym1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 24
  • icb elite copy.jpg
    icb elite copy.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi Emma,

if the map is going on the back of the flyer it needs to be the same proportion to fit.

The resolution for the map should be 300dpi yes. Worth asking if whoever created it can export it from their original at 300dpi.

Neither file has bleed and crop marks set up so if they were printed as they are the edges would either be chopped off or you would have white left over.

Hope this helps

Tom

Also, the flyer side, the file may be 300dpi at the moment but the images used are less than that so will look a bit crap (as they do at present)

Another thought on the map side is that it looks like a screen grab from Google maps used to create the main street plan, and that's a bit naughty (lazy) too :D

Thanks v much tom that's what I thought :) so to create print marks there what is the best way, the only way I would guess is to put the jpeg onto an indesign doc and create bleed and print marks on it and export as a pdf..

Or do printers usually add bleed/crop/print marks? They must have quite a few people submit stuff like that..

emmaburge said:
Thanks v much tom that's what I thought :) so to create print marks there what is the best way, the only way I would guess is to put the jpeg onto an indesign doc and create bleed and print marks on it and export as a pdf..

Or do printers usually add bleed/crop/print marks? They must have quite a few people submit stuff like that..

You could create bleed, for the flyer side it would be easy enough to just add a black border. You would probably need to reduce the size of the artwork too as the 'N' on WOMEN is really close to the edge and would probably get chopped off or close to it if you left it where it is. then just set crop marks and the amount of bleed when you resave it as a pdf or whatever.

For the map again, I'd just give it a white border to use as bleed, or if you are going to recreate it, bear it in mind when you start that you will need to leave some artwork for bleed and that text near the edge is in the dangerzone.

Picture14-1.png

Set the bleeds to 3mm and add crops like this ^^^^^^

Okay.. so theres no need to pull the artwork into indesign just to add crop and registration marks to it - i could just as easily open in photoshop for example and add 3mm to either side of the canvas and fill black?

(good point about the text didnt notice that)!!

Emma

Its a bit hard to tell whats going on as both JPEGS are different sizes. If I was the prepress guy at the printers I would reject these files if I received them.

Images being only 72dpi wouldnt really have them rejected (unless the printers are really proud of there work), just means the final flyer would look bad, have seen plenty of flyers with images below 300dpi.

I think they were rejected because no crop, bleed marks. If you open them in photoshop and just add black 3mm there will still be no crop bleed marks.You also need to check that the JPEGS are CYMK and not RGB this would also cause a rejection. Take them in Photoshop and convert to CYMK.

You need to take them in to either Illustrator or Indesign (would be easier). Set the page to correct size add 3mm bleed. Enlarge the JPEGS so they come off the page and in to the bleed (you can get away with 260dpi - 300dpi for print). Then export as a PDF X-1a:2001.

Also text comes very close to edge usually we add an inside text border, but again this probably wont be the reason they got kicked back. If were me I would start again and redo everything.

Hope this helped if you can send me the exact files that were sent to printers I'll take a better look and tell you exactly whats wrong.

Thanks so much you guys and Naga for detailed last post

Okay so for this person to get a quote from a print designer, they should tell them their flyer needs:

* to be used as a template only :p
* all necessary printers marks adding
* 3mm bleed, and (say 5mm?) inner text border - nudge text back so it fits inside this
* convert colour in both images from RGB to CMYK
* their map redoing, unless they are okay with poorer quality

Is that right?

Can you just explain what this means for my own interest - id like to get more into print designing at some point :) :

Then export as a PDF X-1a:2001.

To the person watching this post on the forum: see, join the forum! :)

Hi Emma

No problem, I read so many questions on the forum not many I can help with, but have been in print for a while.

* to be used as a template only
Not quite sure what you mean here.
Usualy send a JPEG of the project along with the PDF so the printers know what it should look like.

* all necessary printers marks adding
Yes definately but you can get away with crop and bleed marks

* 3mm bleed, and (say 5mm?) inner text border - nudge text back so it fits inside this
3mm bleed yes, but check with printers some want less. I would do a bit more than 5mm inner text border, just for asethics, but 5 should be ok..

* convert colour in both images from RGB to CMYK
Yes all colour space for all print should be CYMK, including any test or anything else in the layout.

* their map redoing, unless they are okay with poorer quality
Yes would redo if only 72dpi.

PDFX-1a:2001 is a type of PDF, that is compatible with 99% of printers. It flattens all the any effects and transparency in the artwork etc. In Indesign you can choose to export as PDFX-1a:2001. This is how I deliver all artwork to printers. Also if you want to get the best from the printers, you should also look in to what colour profiles they use. And also what paper your printing on coated, uncoated etc.

But talk to your printers they can be very helpful if there proffessional. My printers have thought me a lot.

If I can help any more let me know.

Thanks so much - very helpful :) Out of interest ive just had to make this quick flyer type postcard thingamy for someone - i used PDFX-1a:2001 instead of usual export settings :) tbh i cant tell the difference - does this look right to you?

and if i wanted to have those white shadowed boxes go right to the edge of the page - should i just reduce margin/bleed/anything else on that side? see i got inspiration to pick up a little project that had hung in my to do s for a while :D

ok - it didnt attach too big .. url: http://ameliealden.com/stf/ann card 2.pdf.zip

Looks fine for a PDFX1-a:2001, you can check for yourself if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro, co to the advanced tab on the top and look in the scroll down list for print production and then preflight, you can then check the PDF, compliance, images, colours etc. For a file like yours you shouldnt be able to see major differences, but flattens drop shadows, transparencies etc. If I have time I'll post/send you 2 PDF's of a front cover I did using normal PDF and PDFX1-a:2001 and you can see why there used, if your interested.

I do notice a couple of problems though.

Final trimmed page size = height 150mm / width 100mm, right? The trim marks are where you want to cut too right?. You have too extend the elements off the page by 3mm top and bottom. eg. size of file you need to send to printers = height 156mm / width 106mm. I have attached a low res JPEG to show you look at the trim marks at the bottom you'll see the colour extends beyond them, hope you can see can only upload v small files.

1. the white boxes
2. the blue and green lines
3. the photo on the last page

Also finaly you have used a colour profile "US Web Coated SWOP" when you created the PDF. Im not sure but I think in the UK they use "Coated FOGRA27" check with your printers for what colour profile they use.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• eg.jpg
    eg.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 11
sorry i havent replied in a while have been a bit ill - thanks so much for all your help Naga the Honourable Student and Tom the print designererer :p - this is a v useful thread i think for little things that are easily overlooked by print newbs :)

emmaburge said:
sorry i havent replied in a while have been a bit ill - thanks so much for all your help Naga the Honourable Student and Tom the print designererer :p - this is a v useful thread i think for little things that are easily overlooked by print newbs :)

No worries, did you get it all sorted? printed?

Hope you're feeling bettererer

:D

ah i only had a cold im much bettererer now its warmererer outside..lol ok thts enough of that haha, all I did was pass on the advice from this forum :) I told the person who wanted to know the initial q to watch this forum to see how helpful people can be.. think they might have joined now not sure!

as for my flyer (attached earlier in thread when i was being advised by Naga about PDFX1-a:2001) i havent yet submitted it, i just have to find out now how to get parts of it to go right to the edge of a page and then it'll be done i think :)

thanks Naga. do you know how to bring the contents of a page right to the edge (those white boxes in the flyer should come off the edge of the page and not be cut at any margins) - searched tutorials but im obviously wording what i want to find out wrong as im not getting much!

Hi Emma

Firstly have you added bleeds to your Indesign document?

File>Document Setup>More Options then set 3mm bleed on all sides. You should then see a red line outlining your page.

Make sure all the things you want to cut go to the red outline not your page.

How did you create the boxes Photoshop or Indesign

Back