A quick confirmation that would be really helpful :)

Sorry i didnt notice this at first Naga all my DF notifications seem to be getting junked recently.

Yes i do have bleed, I also have purple lines too..(?) - I made the boxes using indesign, but have a photo I want to 'continue off the edge of the page' too that i edited in photoshop, saved as a png and placed into my indesign doc.

Sorry im not v clued up on print terminology because i didnt understand 'pasteboard' but guessed it may be the grey area around the 'canvas' of an indesign doc, but i pretty much made of it, and your comment above, that if i dont want an object's edges to end before the page ends, I should just extend my objects past the edge of the page, and thats it.. that sounds suspiciously simple to me :)

Emma

emmaburge said:
Sorry i didnt notice this at first Naga all my DF notifications seem to be getting junked recently.

Yes i do have bleed, I also have purple lines too..(?) - I made the boxes using indesign, but have a photo I want to 'continue off the edge of the page' too that i edited in photoshop, saved as a png and placed into my indesign doc.

Sorry im not v clued up on print terminology because i didnt understand 'pasteboard' but guessed it may be the grey area around the 'canvas' of an indesign doc, but i pretty much made of it, and your comment above, that if i dont want an object's edges to end before the page ends, I should just extend my objects past the edge of the page, and thats it.. that sounds suspiciously simple to me :)

Emma

Hi Emma, you got it just continue it off the page and it will be cropped off when trimmed. For the record you should use a max quality jpeg, eps or tiff file for placed images all CMYK at 300dpi. Png is a web standard. Sorry for brief reply, on my phone at mo! :)

That's it Emma, it is pretty simple. And as Tom says keep away from PNG in print and always CYMK.

I stay away fro JPEG's
a. because uses lossy compression and you loose quality (but if your photos are JPEG to begin with doesnt really matter. But if you start from RAW files never change to JPEG)
b. can slow down a RIP.

I place TIFF's and Photoshop files for photos and EPS and Illustrator files for graphic elements (Adobe recommends using Photoshop and Illustrator files)

Another tip when you change RGB to CYMK dont just go IMAGE>MODE>CYMK. Better way is
EDIT>CONVERT TO PROFILE, then choose the profile you need (but for this you need to know what colour profile your printers are using, they may even have there own profile that you can load and convert to)

There are other things you should look in to such as Dot Gain, GCR and UCR but there fairly advanced and what you have allready are pretty good basics.

thanks v much for tips naga -

Another tip when you change RGB to CYMK dont just go IMAGE>MODE>CYMK. Better way is
EDIT>CONVERT TO PROFILE, then choose the profile you need (but for this you need to know what colour profile your printers are using, they may even have there own profile that you can load and convert to)

so this would be the FOGRA type thing you spoke of earlier? :)

No problem Emma.

Im not sure about ur PDF problem (have doen any editable PDFs), but tried it out and yes I think the background does come through the form fields.

Try it for yourself (you dont need to actually print. Make an editable PDF, save it open fill in fileds and then print but dont print to a printer print to a PDF you can then see on screen what the print will look like.

Hope this helps

PS

When you colour manage your work flow, you should set the colour mangement in all applications i.e Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign. You can do this through Adobe Bridge EDIT>CREATE SUITE COLOUR SETTINGS> then choose the colour settings that you want. This will sync all the CS applications to one colour standard.

Thanks for the tips - my only problem is I often make little bits and pieces for web, so i know at some point I'd forget to change that back, I admit ive never touched Bridge really! Thanks for the help on that !

hey yeah i have cheers and thanks for the 2 links to banner stands...i really want to buy one, or perhaps a ski display, do you know anyone... ?

:D

Back