A question about fonts?

xtobaldo

Hi, a week ago a made my first post with some pictures of designs i've been working on, and i really like the response. As I told in that post, I´m new in this designing world and just have some advices from people who work in graphic design.
In this moment I'm thinking about making a exhibition of posters, I really like to draw and all desing start in paper but I really hate hand lettering it,s just a neightmare, so i´m using fonts that i downloaded
My question is: how legal is to use a font that is for personal use, in a exhibition ?

I hope someboby could advise me.
I know how tedious is to watch a post without pictures.
This is just an idea, I tried to make my own letters but they were horrible. for this one I´m using a font called birds of paradise. hope you like it

Attachments

• vulturposter1.png
    vulturposter1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: wac
Is the exhibition for profit? If so it probably counts as promotional materials and thus commercial use. Having said that, what are the odds of the font designer being at the exhibition, coming across your display and somehow ascertaining that you haven’t paid for the font?

On the other hand. Type design is bloody hard and the people that share their work with others are to be commended, so if it is for profit, why not sling a few bucks in the authors direction.

wac said:
Is the exhibition for profit? If so it probably counts as promotional materials and thus commercial use. Having said that, what are the odds of the font designer being at the exhibition, coming across your display and somehow ascertaining that you haven’t paid for the font?

On the other hand. Type design is bloody hard and the people that share their work with others are to be commended, so if it is for profit, why not sling a few bucks in the authors direction.
yes. i thought about it, the only way that the font designer would know that somebody had used his font on a little town in Peru is that the posters I am making become famous and that's a very remote posibility(extremely remote).So it is just an ethical matter.
Selling here where I live is not so common but if it happens I would donate to the designer, as you said "type design is bloody hard" and we must support this heroes.

wac said:

This. Exactly this.

Back