A question about bad coding...

renniks said:
Well you can use XHTML but it would be more beneficial as XHTML is now discontinued from progress to use HTML 4.01 and aim for HTML5 when it is standard practise.

XHTML1.0 and XHTML2.0 were two very different things. XHTML1.0 is still a usable language, more so than HTML5 is. It's up to you whether you move toward HTML5 or stick with XHTML1.0. You're better off though, in my opinion, sticking with XHTML1.0 until HTML5 becomes more standard/supported, at which point you can still write markup in XHTML1.0 syntax, but take advantage of HTML5's new elements.

Harry said:
XHTML1.0 and XHTML2.0 were two very different things. XHTML1.0 is still a usable language, more so than HTML5 is. It's up to you whether you move toward HTML5 or stick with XHTML1.0. You're better off though, in my opinion, sticking with XHTML1.0 until HTML5 becomes more standard/supported, at which point you can still write markup in XHTML1.0 syntax, but take advantage of HTML5's new elements.

So it would be like XHTML Transitional was to HTML then? A bit more permissive in what you compared to Strict?

I personally get no gains from using XHTML 1.0 over HTML 4.01 and will be playing with HTML5 soon enough. XHTML strict is a very good learning tool though and I Would advise people learn the basics in it as it forces you to close all tags you dont need to in HTML 4.01... :)

See I personally find it the other way and find XHTML to be much more cleaner and efficient, but then to each their own at the end of the day methinks :)

It is much cleaner (not sure about more efficient) but things such as <br /> need to be closed to be validated in XHTML, while in HTML 4.01 <br> is valid

I started this thread to try and help me understand things! NOT GET EVEN MORE CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for shouting.

freshmedialive said:
So it would be like XHTML Transitional was to HTML then? A bit more permissive in what you compared to Strict?

Sort of. You can use a variety of different strictness levels in HTML5. You could use <br> or <br />.

Harry said:
Sort of. You can use a variety of different strictness levels in HTML5. You could use <br> or <br />.

Ah thats okay then, thanks for the explanation there Harry :)
Don't want to have to go and change my style again ;)

The main problem with understanding code changes is that it's all written by the people who are changing it. They already understand it so it's written in a way that assumes you already know it all lol. Best way is to ask people for real world explanations (forums!).

Well you'll be glad to hear, that I have made my first attempt at coding something more cleanly and it has worked, the whole thing runs alot smoother.

Congrats Harry, you have got through to me!

Awesome :D
I want to say once you start you wont stop, but it seems the new way is once you start you start learning how to develop CMS'

renniks said:
Awesome :D
I want to say once you start you wont stop, but it seems the new way is once you start you start learning how to develop CMS'

speak english mark!

Back