A professional honest opinion would be much appreciated!

HelenS

Has anyone heard of Shillington College in London? (There is also a course held in Manchester) I found it advertised in the Computer Arts magazine and would really appreciate an honest opinion on the realistic chances of employment after completing this course, based on a portfolio of work.

In a nut shell, it is an intense 3 months where you learn how to complete a brief of work from start to finish.

Would a person on completion of this course have just as much chance of getting a job as a person that has completed a three year degree in Graphic Design?

Can you realistically learn what you need to know in order to be a Graphic Designer, in 3 months?

On presentation of 2 portfolios of work, would a prospective employer know which belonged to the 3 month student and the 3 year student?

I would love to know what you think of this course, whether you are a Graphic Designer, an Employer or even a Shillington student past or present. All opinions are valued!

Graphic Design Courses & Classes – London & Manchester | Shillington College UK

Personally I have always been of the opinion that a portfolio is (or at least should be) the most important aspect of getting a job in an industry such as design.

To me, what is the value in a piece of paper if the quality of the work you present looks substandard? Likewise, if somebody can show you that they can produce the most brilliant things, would you turn them down on the basis that they haven't got that piece of paper?

I think a course is useful for the foundations and the understanding of theoretical aspects, it will help to let your thoughts loose and also understand the process, preparing for print and so on, so if they can do that in the time then I'm sure that can't necessarily be a bad thing, even if you may then take longer to develop that grounding in to more creativity and so on through work of your own.

If it's a three month course you'd hope they only accept people with some existing and appropriate level of talent in the first instance. I agree with the above about the relative value of qualifications but I'm also mindful of the fact that a design qualification is often one of the requirements companies have when recruiting as a black-and-white method of sifting applicants at the long-list stage.

Back