A non designer trying to design a corporate brand. Go wild ;)

INSPIRE

OK, first and foremost, I don't care about harsh crit. I can take it, I need to hear it, yada yada. Kick my in the face, it won't hurt :D

I basically need some feedback, ideas and inspiration for a new "venture", pardon the pun ;) You see I am opening a photographic studio in Edinburgh, which is intended to offer a venture like service (family portraits, school and nursery photoshoots etc)...as well as have a small gallery downstairs (mainly landscapes) in the basement.

After weeks of going back and forth trying to think of a name, I am *potentially* settled on "INSPIRE", "insert tagline here"...firstly, your comments on the name would be appreciated.

The local area where my shop will be is very wealthy, lots of well to do residents, fairly rich families, and very little poverty. I don't know if it's PC to say this, but I guess "well paid working class and above"...I thought the word INSPIRE had multiple angles. I aim to inspire with the photography being the main one I guess...

Anyway. Whatever I choose to do, I need to ensure I make a half decent job of it. I enjoy playing with photoshop, and love taking photos. I feel like I wan't to tackle the logo / shop identity on my own, however my lack of skill is starting to worry me. If the name is OK, then it leaves me with a huge hurdle in terms of sorting out a corporate identity. I want to *appear* bigger than just one shop, and hope that one day I will be.

So, I give you, INSPIRE.....erm, by a guy who can't design for toffee :D

mock20logo.jpg

Took about 10 minutes to come up with the "concept" and half an hour faffing about with colours and fonts. I really am not good at this, but am willing to listen and hopefully learn a little.

I will share some of my photos in the photographic section shortly if it's OK :D

Gary.

Hi, i like the look of it, but i dont like the orange square above the 'i', i think it would look better without them, also take the flick off the 'R'

other than that its not bad.

Here's a start...............

ehkw74.jpg

First things first...can you get a website called inspired/ or inspired photography etc etc?
That is the first starting point. Domain availability. Not brand name. In 1 years time or even now you will need it.
Design wise.....chomp, chomp.

Just another question, are you trying to build a multinational name for this or want a local business that Edinburgh folk (and tourists) can visit?

I am thinking bigger, but it has to if possible, appeal to the local market, and allow for expansion.

INSPIRE said:
You rang, m'lord? :p

The name INSPIRE is ok, I guess. Not very creative or original. Surprised you even got a domain on it. The logo doesn't really show "photography" to me. It looks more like a movie title imho. You should come up with an actual logo/symbol I think.

I only ask as like Onartis has pointed out, its not very original. Aspirephotographic inspirephotography inspire all are taken websites... so it could be difficult to rise above when there is so many similar namings

Berry said:
Here's a start...............

ehkw74.jpg

First things first...can you get a website called inspired/ or inspired photography etc etc?
That is the first starting point. Domain availability. Not brand name. In 1 years time or even now you will need it.
Design wise.....chomp, chomp.

Didn't take long for "The Beast" to raise his head :lol:

Thanks guys,

Appreciate originality is important, and this falls short. I tried for so long to come up with something, and failed. I find all of the ideas are used and abused online on one level or another, and I don't find it easy to put myself on the same wavelength of those people who choose completely bizarre one word names, erm..... the most obvious I can think of, Virgin, Orange, Blackberry, Adidas etc. They are all solid, but the words to me mean nothing if that makes any sense?

I decided that if I did fail to be as original as I would have hoped, to simply compete where it matters. Quality of product, customer service, and good old reputation.

Still, any tips on finding an original name which can work are appreciated.

Gary.

pity he already has his domain sorted he could have gone and bought inspire.co.uk for the tiny sum of £10995+VAT

As to the logo, can't say I like the name, it doesn't say photography to me and I just keep thinking of linspire (linux os) everytime I see it.

£10k for inspire.co.uk wasn't inspire some sort of clothing label?

I should add, it will take 8 weeks or so for my shop to be ready, and I am 100% willing to drop the name if I can find something better. Just for a fortnight now I have been going round in circles.

I registered "Cameroo ltd" for a service aimed at children, online based, Weak but unique :D

Gary.

Hi Gary.

Just something to get you along the right lines, what sort of corporate image do you want to portray?

For example, professional, traditional, modern, artistic etc. From there you can go on to produce a graphic that reflects that.

We could try brainstorming some names, if any appeal look into them and see if the logistical side of things check out. I'll get the ball rolling:

Click
Cheese
Point and Shoot
Exposed
Dark Room
nitrate
composed
viewfinder
hot shoe

I'm sure the other will chip a few in.

Back