A non designer trying to design a corporate brand. Go wild ;)

INSPIRE said:
Thanks guys,Still, any tips on finding an original name which can work are appreciated. Gary.

Here comes my Brand Post, must make it a sticky or something.

A brand is not a name - it is a promise of consistency of the service or product.

What the company represents is more important than the name that is why we buy into great brands like Virgin, Nike etc etc.

I've always said it doesn't really matter whatt you are called so don't join the heard and get too hung up on it.

Where you will fail is trying like so many others is trying to have a name that sums up your business. Like Cute & Curly hair salon etc. I hate trite conjured names that try to be creative but end up looking cheap and tat. Magenta, CandyOlive, Apple, Caramel, Butterscotch, Noir, India Black, Mushroom, Aubergine, Sherbet, Pumpkin, Rhubarb, Cinnabar, Porridge, Vanilla. The dictionary is full of answers..You will also find most of the big brands in there too.

Ta guys :D

Contemporary, modern, professional and classy I think. I want an expensive looking product, that gets those with deep pockets in the door, BUT and this is extremely important, those on a modest income need to also think it's right up their street, and affordable.

This is such a hard game, how do you guys do it?

Gary.

Guys thanks for all the help. I am dashing out but will be back around 10pm. Thanks again, I appreciate the time taken.

Gary.

INSPIRE said:
Ta guys :D

Contemporary, modern, professional and classy I think. I want an expensive looking product, that gets those with deep pockets in the door, BUT and this is extremely important, those on a modest income need to also think it's right up their street, and affordable.

This is such a hard game, how do you guys do it?

Gary.
Interesting. If I think of anything I'll pop it up.

Berry said:
Where you will fail is trying like so many others is trying to have a name that sums up your business. Like Cute & Curly hair salon etc. I hate trite conjured names that try to be creative but end up looking cheap and tat. Magenta, CandyOlive, Apple, Caramel, Butterscotch, Noir, India Black, Mushroom, Aubergine, Sherbet, Pumpkin, Rhubarb, Cinnabar, Porridge, Vanilla. The dictionary is full of answers..You will also find most of the big brands in there too.

I like Mushroom Noir ha

...think the "i's" in Inspire looked like matchsticks

Thanks again guys,

Going to speak to some brand agencies, but I don't have mega bucks so the more I can give to this aspect of the business, the better. I am going to try and get the logo closer if I can, and may continue to ask for hints and tips here.

More importantly, I am going to REALLY focus on offering a service, product and experience which makes people WANT to spread the word about my new place. I want it to be THE place to go for a photographer in Edinburgh and eventually further afield.

Gary.

then its decided... you shall be called

Sherbet Pumpkin Rhubarb Porridge the 3rd, with a camera.

Hi Gary,

A bit late into this thread, but from reading it back I would look to your location for some name inspiration, apparently (and Bren will like this) according to Wikipedia;

In a recent YouGov poll, Edinburgh was voted the "most desirable city to live in the UK"
Surely there's some inspiration from your location you can tap into?
For example, I just dug this up...

The city is affectionately nicknamed Auld Reekie (Scots for Old Smoky), because when buildings were heated by coal and wood fires, chimneys would spew thick columns of smoke into the air. The colloquial pronunciation "Embra" or "Embro" has also been used as in Robert Garioch's Embro to the Ploy

Clearly Auld Reekie, or Old Smoky aren't appropriate, but how about 'Embra', Embra Studio, Embra Photography, etc.

The Scots poets Robert Burns and Robert Fergusson sometimes used the city's Latin name, Edina.

Edina Photography, sounds quite up market?

It may not necessarily be the direction you want to go, but thought looking at your location might provide some inspiration in anycase :up:

Hope that helps in someway!
Greg

Back