5 Blogs and Websites Start Up Owners Should Be Reading

Nice list Tony!
One thing I did that got me loads of work and traffic (from one of the sites in your link) was to write a tut/article for VectorTuts.
It was a long time ago but if you Google something like "web mascot" it's still top of the list. :)

Oh my god, I've looked through that tutorial before! I didn't know it was by you! You're famous :D I'd love to get an article on a site like that.

scotty said:
Nice list Tony!
One thing I did that got me loads of work and traffic (from one of the sites in your link) was to write a tut/article for VectorTuts.
It was a long time ago but if you Google something like "web mascot" it's still top of the list. :)
Love that tutorial! Can't believe that guy used your work though :eek: What a cheek!

A cheek, sure, but I wonder who's in the better position, that guy or Scotty ;)

iDesign said:
Love that tutorial! Can't believe that guy used your work though :eek: What a cheek!
How'd you find that?
Cheeky F@cker!
Passing it off as their work.
They've altered the rendering but that's all.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
A cheek, sure, but I wonder who's in the better position, that guy or Scotty ;)
the other blokes 'from' India.... so I'm not sure about who's in the better position... All the Indian companies seem to work for pennies so must be filled with Millionaires who enjoy design and do it to stem off boredom.

scotty said:
How'd you find that?
Cheeky F@cker!
Passing it off as their work.
They've altered the rendering but that's all.
Someone mentioned it on the comments.
I get why tutorials offer freebie files, but seriously. We all need inspiration but to add that illustration to your own portfolio and make out that you came up with the design and concept, when it has clearly been copied. Annoying! What's the point of calling yourself a designer? His isn't as good anyway :D

It is different to the designs Scotty made, even if only slightly, is not possible that he simply followed the tutorial and arrived at that on his own, sort of. I mean, if you're going to show someone how to do something so exactly, I guess it's not too much of a stretch to assume that they are probably going to come up with some similar stuff, right?

Not really Sean.
The article was about the basics of creating character mascots and there was a free download of a character pack to use, alter, play with, whatever which was this one:
final.jpg

Then there were images I included in the article, one of them being this one which was the couple of super heroes (my kids) and a character left over from another project.
Seems he's just grabbed an image, copied it and used it as his own work on Elance or whatever.
1c.jpg
mascotanoop.jpg

Here's the original article BTW.

Yeah I hear you Scotty, that sucks :( Would be interesting to hear how you handle the situation, have you contacted him?

Tony Hardy said:
Haha it's alright mate. Needs must. What a dipshit. I'd look into that like. Try tipping off http://www.logothief.com
They might help?
Thanks Tony. Think I'll try that so cheers for the link.
Spent a while looking through them and can't believe some peoples cheek.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Yeah I hear you Scotty, that sucks :( Would be interesting to hear how you handle the situation, have you contacted him?
Think I've got to register with Elance to do so but I think I will.

great tony, nice list

I agree that during website start up one must read it before , it will give them a alot of benefit

Back