3D Texturing - Anyone Got Any Experience?

Mhmm, I guess it is more of a technical issue. Sorry about that.

um.... do you want to expand on the issue as those pictures just look tiny and to be honest I don't have a clue what the issue is from your description lol It looks like it's not tiling smoothly from the second issue and thats down to the 'tile' not having any correlation/overlap to the other side of the texture.
I might be able to fix the issue if you tell me more :)

So basically I was wondering what techniques were employed in 3D games to rectify the issue of, in this example, a 40x40 tile getting reduced in size to 24x24 and therefore scaling the tile down to the point where it simply becomes blurred and loses all quality - as demonstrated in the images above. I know that there is physically not much you can do about this because the fact the camera is hovering high up above the ground, so you can't stop the tiles from appearing smaller.
I was wondering though, what would be the best way to get more detail into the tiles, is it simply to just have larger tiles in the game? The programmer and I have had several discussions and he seems to be under the impression that we need to use smaller tiles for performance reasons.. I was thinking to have something around 64x64 tiles, not sure what they do in other games?
Any advice would be good..!
Edit: Just to clarify, the image above of the tile is not meant to be seamless, it was just a quick test to demonstrate the loss of quality

I don't work with games but principles are the same and to be fair I don't know what sort of game this is so this is probably more generalised.
Easiest option would be to use different resolutions/scales depending on the setting in the game... think low/med/high quality etc. When I do higher res renderings or closeups I use higher res textures, but can get away with lower res textures when working on a lower res/further away type of image.
A smaller tile size will never have a lot of detail and the only way to really fix that is larger tile sizes, obviously larger file sizes do require more memory etc but unless you're playing on something so outdated most can handle 100x100 file sizes I would have thought.
Other options:
the 'zoom' approach where you load up a more detailed tile the closer you get to the ground - think google maps :). This is basically how it works in the real world if you think about it the further away the less detail you have.
the large tile loaded once approach - one very large tile that covers the whole 'world' - this is an approach that A LOT of the big game studios are using now due to the fact most graphic cards have loads of memory etc

I know that technology has come on a long way now and can handle a fair amount, but this game is being developed with 3d flash software called Flare 3D (Absolute nightmare to work with) and our programmer is very (perhaps too much) conscious about performance resource usage.
Hmm, what I'm planning to do is have him increase the size to about 100 and add in functionality that will allow us to have two layers of tiles, a floor and then for example some transparent PNG's with more details, like flowers over grass.
It's all a bit of a headache really.. haha. Thanks for the help!

Yeah I know about its hardware acceleration, might be my naivety as a designer, but are they still not limited in some way, compared to a standalone 3d game, i.e. World of Warcraft?
We're moving on to Unity after this project, can't stand Flare 3D! The competition we're entering requires us to use it though, so meh..

to be honest I'm not sure how flash uses the gpu in it's games but I've played some fairly high res flash games...

Just read through this whole thread, and I can't make one ounce of sense from it! Haha. Glad you two know what you're talking about :)

I resolved this issue in the end.. it was quite obvious actually..!
The 3D positioning of the camera was too far away from the ground plane, obviously requiring the engine to process the details of the 2D tiles as smaller and further away.

oh I thought you'd zoomed out to show the issue..... could have told you that you'd get more detail the closer you are to the texture (to the limits of the tile resolution anyways)

It was quite funny, I realised this whilst on Skype to the programmer. I told him, after recovering from the shock of how obvious this was, and it was immediately followed by a long a silence and then we both burst out laughing. *sigh*

Back