3d model mascot question

DCP

Hi,
Our new website has a mascot character which someone made for me in Maya.

I want to use my mascot in various scenes/parts of my website and in my marketing.

e.g. I want the same character but in different clothes.

e.g. I want the character in a few different poses.

I don't have and don't know how to use Maya, but I've been advised that if I want flexibility for multiple poses I might want to consider getting it 'rigged.'

How much does it cost to rig a single character?

If you rig the character, can you then change the clothes of the character, without having to rig again?

Once it's all done, is it alot of work for me to control the character and make the poses? does this involve me knowing maya?

If I rely on my rigger to give me the different poses, how much is a reasonable charge for doing each pose?

This could end up costing you quite a bit, as those proficient enough in Maya to do rigging can charge upwards of £350 per hour (no kidding). However, you may have some luck if you find yourself an animation student or multimedia design and digital animation student, as an idea.

That depends on the complexity of the mesh. The model may have been created without rigging in mind.

If you rig the character, can you then change the clothes of the character, without having to rig again?

You could create clothing on top of the character which would have to be textured and also rigged to the meshes skeleton. If you just change the texture of the clothing (this is basically just an image) you wouldn't need to re-rig.

Once it's all done, is it alot of work for me to control the character and make the poses? does this involve me knowing maya?

If you understand Maya animation/bone manipulation it shouldn't be too hard but you also need a copy of Maya, which is over £3,500 (it is a professional, industry standard software package after all).

If I rely on my rigger to give me the different poses, how much is a reasonable charge for doing each pose?

This is based on time taken, the experience level of the animator and is best discussed beween yourselves. Shop around, get some quotes, compare prices.

Hi,
Our new website has a mascot character which someone made for me in Maya.

I want to use my mascot in various scenes/parts of my website and in my marketing.

e.g. I want the same character but in different clothes.

e.g. I want the character in a few different poses.

I don't have and don't know how to use Maya, but I've been advised that if I want flexibility for multiple poses I might want to consider getting it 'rigged.'

As an alternative option I re-draw existing characters in different poses.

See my site for details

Back