27" imac sloooooow, graphics?

tom thurs

Hi, I think I posted somewhere here before about this within a thread.
My 27" imac i5 2.66GHz at work is quite slow I've tried Onyx and maintenance and it doesn't seem to have done anything.

I'm wondering if it's graphics as it seems to be when doing graphical things. It's a ati 4850 but with only 512mb running a 27" monitor at 2560x1440.

I've got CS5 so I don't know it its that? My old G5 with a dual mac processor seemed just as fast but running CS2

Not the answer you want to hear but I recently wiped my work iMac and reinstalled everything and it’s like a new computer now. Might be worth a try but it’s a long process.

I know I'm digging up a relatively old thread, but I just wanted to state that we have new 27" iMacs at our work which are slow. But it turns out it's a network issue and our predominantly PC driven business doesn't care for us.
27" is far too big for me, I can see 4pt type from 3 miles away, so my pc using boss can actually read this, so I'm now likely to be sacked for typing such monstrosities! :icon_blushing:

Do you have the capacity for adding more memory to your Mac?

I recently added an extra 8GB of memory to my iMac 27" and it's really fast

What spec is the iMac? I heard somewhere that the quad-core iMacs need hefty RAM to perform properly.

RAM is always a good way to give your machine a speed boost regardless of whether what I heard is true and it's relatively inexpensive these days... I maxed out mine to 16GB for less than £90 - works like a charm.

you know that 512mb ram is about half of the bare minimum required to run a single CS5 application don't you?

Sorry, Yeah. just saw 512 ram and got scared!!

I have the same machine and run CS5 without issue.

Haha I don't think it would even boot up with 512mb...
I remember getting an extra 1mb ram for my amiga 500 and thinking it was the bomb!

Have you got extra ram or just the same spec? I do have 6music streaming constantly so that might have something to do with it if your's is fine.

I loved that machine, I only sold it a few years ago due to space and when I found I could get a decent copy of sensible world of soccer on pc and xbox.

Haha I don't think it would even boot up with 512mb...
I remember getting an extra 1mb ram for my amiga 500 and thinking it was the bomb!

Have you got extra ram or just the same spec? I do have 6music streaming constantly so that might have something to do with it if your's is fine.

It's just the standard spec. I usually have radio 1 or 2 streaming too.

you know that 512mb ram is about half of the bare minimum required to run a single CS5 application don't you?

Yes the card is 512MB.
The 27 inch should run it pretty well but depends exactly what you have going on. Dumping the cache and prefs may help and you say you've run onyx so a permission fix etc has been done via that I take it.

Next step might be re-install Adobe CS or bite the bullet and re-install fresh OS in about 30 mins then put Adobe back on and see how that works.

Memory can be a huge issue but only if you using it up. Check activity monitor and see how much is used. If it's close to the 4GB then first step its get another 4GB put in. CS only uses so much so there is a point with your jobs where more memory will not make a jot of difference but not sure if your there or not yet ?

I am on a new Imac 3.2 GHZ i3 with 4 GB memory and I am starting to think I need a tower as I'm getting annoyed at how slow this machine is. I run CS5 also and starting to get impatient!

My old imac was much better, shame I killed it by installing windows!

Back