2 quick wordpress questions..

bamme

Hi guys :) This forum has been really helpful for wordpress as well as web dev/coding.. amazing help thankyou.

I thought id ask a q here about wordpress because this forum for support IMO is kinda better than theirs hah.

So here are my qs - if nobody knows, no worries, but itd be a big help for a person who struggles with php.

1) I currently have this in place in a php file of a theme im using here: www.ziggiville.co.uk, to display the pages:
PHP:
      <div class="pages">
    <ul>
      <li class="<? echo (is_home())?'current_page_item':''; ?>"><a href="<?php echo get_option('home'); ?>/">Home</a></li>
      <?php $pages = wp_list_pages('sort_column=menu_order&depth=1&title_li=&echo=0');
echo $pages; ?>
    </ul>
    <? unset($pages); ?>
  </div>
I want to also display subpages so I can sort the pages into a silo type structure and help SEO. I read something that told me to place this into your theme where you want the pages/subpages to appear. But i do not know how to add this following code to what i already have above, or how to change it/if its right - i can't read php very well
depressed.gif

PHP:
<?php
$children = wp_list_pages('title_li=&child_of='.$post->ID.'&echo=0');
if ($children) { ?>
    <ul>
        <?php echo $children; ?>
    </ul>
<?php } ?>
Can anyone give me a clue?

>>> think this is fixed, just changed "&depth=1" to "&depth=2" -- seems to do the trick :)

2) I've just downloaded this plugin: http://sexywp.com/fmp

I tested it on a blog using wp version 2.9.1 - worked fine. tested it on the actual blog i wanted to use it on, using the same theme, version 2.9.2 - problem.

the plugin installs, and i can activate it thru wordpress fine, but after i do, no link to its settings appears in the settings tab, and no icon for the plugins appears in the Page/Post editor toolbar - so I can't use the plugin.

the plugin says its compatible up to 2.9.2, so i think it may be something else - perhaps to do with file permissions or something :/ (i did not install wordpress onto this blog myself )

Im asking if anyone recognizes this problem as something thats happened with one of their plugins, or anyone could throw in a guess about what might be wrong thats making it not work?? I was advised to "chown" something someplace but im not sure what chown is.

Help would be much appreciated very frustrating!

Hi Emma,

Have you got any other plugins on the blog you want to use it on? If you have loads of other plugins working, it could be that one or more of them are conflicting with the plugin you want to use :(

I hope that helps :)

Hi Chris

Did think of that, so i disabled all my other plugins - I only had 3 going at the time i was trying the player. Other audio players dont work with this theme so its a real bugger that this one just wont work with this blog. It works on the first blog i tested it on fine, and the only diff in version of wordpress is very small (test blog was 2.9.1, this blog is 2.9.2) so i think it must be something to do with the actual individual blog, maybe the install/file permissions - im not sure..as i said someone mentioned "chown" but i dont even know what that is. They said:

you may have to chown the folder where plugins get installed:

chown -R www-data plugins_folder_name (for Ubuntu & Debian)
chown -R nobody plugins_folder_name (for RedHat and CentOS)

well I don't believe that there are loads of differences between 2.9.1 and 2.9.2 but if it doesn't make sense I would suggest setting up a dummy site with 2.9.2 wordpress installed (like a subfolder behind your website) with all the correct stuff running, then install the plugin again. It might be that it doesn't like 2.9.2 even though it says that it does (i've had that many times in the past).

well I don't believe that there are loads of differences between 2.9.1 and 2.9.2 but if it doesn't make sense I would suggest setting up a dummy site with 2.9.2 wordpress installed (like a subfolder behind your website) with all the correct stuff running, then install the plugin again. It might be that it doesn't like 2.9.2 even though it says that it does (i've had that many times in the past).

thanks for the suggestion chris - just upgraded the 2.9.1 blog to 2.9.2, the plugin still works fine.. havent a clue why its not working on this particular blog.

hmmm.. are they located on 2 different servers or on the same server?

2 diff servers. Ive had a few probs with things on this server im dealing with before..wordpress related.. but i havent a clue at all about fixing, im out of my depth there! :S if it helps at all with the problem, one of the steps i had to take when installing the plugin was:

Make sure the write permission of `wp-content` is 755

I did do this.. so i dont understand why else it might not work..

It might be that the hosting company doesn't allow this to go 755 or restricts that sort of activity. If it works on one server but not on the other, then the server which has troubles may not be wordpress friendly. Is it running Linux or Windows server on the server in question?

I'm pretty sure its running Linux - well, in my ftp client, the file permission change looks like its successful, and i succesfully chmoded htaccess.. so im not sure whats going on at all..

do you know about this sort of stuff? maybe its a required file that the plugin needs is not in the install but i really have no idea im out of my depth 100%...

Back