15" or 17"

glenwheeler said:
I dont think 17" is too bad really. Mine is perfect at 17.2" and its extremly light..if your a designer I definatly would'nt be going for a 15"..

*disagree* there's no reason why you shouldnt get a 13" or a 15" if your a designer. there are always displays at home if necessary.

I agree with Tim. A 15 or 13 incher is fine for everday use. Although if you are planning to work for long periods of time...link it to a larger monitor.

I'll just use that age old saying, it isn't the size that matters it's how you use it :p

If you're comfortable with a smaller size then thats fine but you can always get a larger option which can be plugged in when you're home :)

tim said:
*disagree* there's no reason why you shouldnt get a 13" or a 15" if your a designer. there are always displays at home if necessary.

But if you we're out and about could you really get away with working from a 13" screen...and yes Typo i'm a mactard now as well as a windows 7 beast

Renniks said:
the resolution on the 13" is fine. just smaller 'real estate'

Not an issue really

How can you say the resolution of a 13" is fine, it totally depends on what hardware is running in the machine...and I also agree with ally...it's alright all the rich kids (or mamys and daddys boys) :p saying they have screens at home what happens if others dont have the huge setups?..a 13" cannot be used to design on...

Entry level 13" MacBook Pro £999.
Entry level 15" MacBook Pro £1499.
Entry level 17" MacBook Pro £1899.

Silly money I know but great kit. My original point being that for the price of the 17incher you could have a 13incher and a £900 left over. So realistically say a 24" monitor would come in at £400....that's a lot of change for extra RAM/carrybag/mouse/tablet etc.

Typo said:
Entry level 13" MacBook Pro £999.
Entry level 15" MacBook Pro £1499.
Entry level 17" MacBook Pro £1899.

Silly money I know but great kit. My original point being that for the price of the 17incher you could have a 13incher and a £900 left over. So realistically say a 24" monitor would come in at £400....that's a lot of change for extra RAM/carrybag/mouse/tablet etc.

Typo, personally I'd go for the base 15" purely as it has a core i processor versus the last gen core 2. There is a worthwhile performance improvement, and at your prices you can still get the 24" screen for the price of the 17" :D

glenwheeler said:
How can you say the resolution of a 13" is fine, it totally depends on what hardware is running in the machine...and I also agree with ally...it's alright all the rich kids (or mamys and daddys boys) :p saying they have screens at home what happens if others dont have the huge setups?..a 13" cannot be used to design on...

and right now we are talking about a 13" macbook pro, which comes with 1280x800 pixel (as standard) screen (correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure I'm not)

This is the same res as my 15.4" laptop... while that is considered "ok"

EDIT: Oh and I agree with levi in that I'd get the 15" due to the spec increase, without the bulk. But a 13" would be able to run the programs requested.

Just had a thought though, there isn't a great deal of upgrade to the 13" macbook pro so it might be worth looking at end of line/refurb of the previous version as you could save some good money :)

edit: actually maybe not, the refurbs on the apple site are expensive compared with the new 13"

Renniks said:
and right now we are talking about a 13" macbook pro, which comes with 1280x800 pixel (as standard) screen (correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure I'm not)

This is the same res as my 15.4" laptop... while that is considered "ok"

EDIT: Oh and I agree with levi in that I'd get the 15" due to the spec increase, without the bulk. But a 13" would be able to run the programs requested.

Onartis mentioned laptops, I wasn't speaking about Mac book, I wouldn't go anywhere near a 13" Mac book for the money they charge...not having a go btw lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha fair enough :) I was talking directly about the MBP (hence *the resolution on THE 13"*)

^_^ I think the cost they charge for ALL the MBs / MBPs are too much, student discount makes it a bit better but still :)

Did you end up deciding on one? I'm debating the same thing myself and would love to know if you've chosen one and how you like it.

I have a 15.5" Sony Vaio and I think the screen size couldn't be better! Plus it's really light :)

I haven't decided yet... But I probably will in a couple weeks. I still have time before school starts anyway :)

Get the 15" the 17" is way to big to carry around. In fact you will find if you take the 15" every where you will wish you went for the 13". Just get the 24" monitors at all office and home locations. Dell monitors are good value for money.

Back