Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    GDF Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unhappy Do I have to pay taxes if I earned less than £2000 last year?


    I stumbled upon this great forum. I hope you guys can shed a light on this situation. I started doing freelance last year and my accountant suggested that I should register myself as a freelancer. I thought why not. Now when the year ended, well basically the time to pay my taxes for the last fiscal year ended, I wonder do I even have to do that if my earning were less than 2000? I read that the limit is 6000 pounds before you have to pay any taxes.

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    ARRIVALS is offline
    GDF Master ARRIVALS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
    No you do not.

    I believe the threshold for paying income tax is a yearly income of around £5,500, and that's after all outgoings have been deducted. Your accountant will be able to confirm these details for you.
    Arrivals™ - Graphic Design & Brand Development

  3. #3
    richimgd is offline
    GDF Regular richimgd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Is this your only income or do you have another job?
    You get a personal allowance of £8105 for the tax year 12/13: HM Revenue & Customs: Income Tax allowances

    If you have another income which uses up all of your personal allowance then you will need to declare all of your freelance earning by means of filling out a self assessment tax return. I am a complete novice though on this subject, so I would go by what your accountant says. Feel free to post any more of his advice as I will need to do my tax return soon and I havent done one before..!

  4. #4
    SDGSteve is offline
    GDF Newbie SDGSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Chatham, UK
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The threshold is higher now, about 7000, and going up each year because the Lib Dems want it at £10k.

    So, you don't have to pay tax, but you may still have to pay National Insurance if you paid it to yourself all in one month or just a couple of months, NI is calculated monthly not yearly. Company directors and I think anyone doing self assessment get NI repaid to them if their yearly total is below the annual threshold, everyone else gets billed by the monthly threshold.

    Inland Revenue do some free software you can download off their website which takes about 10 minutes to set up and will do all this stuff for you, it's called something like "basic PAYE tools".

  5. #5
    Corrosive is offline
    Moderator Corrosive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Thanked 166 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDGSteve View Post
    Inland Revenue do some free software you can download off their website which takes about 10 minutes to set up and will do all this stuff for you, it's called something like "basic PAYE tools".
    Great point Steve. We use the Inland Revenue tool and it works very well. Takes the hassle out of working out tax and NI levels as long as you know what your tax code should be.

Similar Threads

  1. 15 year old setting up
    By MissOwen in forum General Business Forum:
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 06:28 PM
  2. Happy New Year.
    By ARRIVALS in forum Chill Out Forum:
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
  3. Frontpage 2000
    By Kopite_21 in forum Graphic Design Forum:
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
  4. Shoe Design Competition - Win up to $2000 (approx £1227)
    By dreamheels in forum Graphic Design Competitions:
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
  5. Gap Year
    By chris_17 in forum Chill Out Forum:
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts